Monday, December 15, 2014

The Triumphant Return (And Another Musical Monday Post)

Hello there, fellow digressors. I bet you thought I'd run off in the T.A.R.D.I.S. and forgotten about you all, huh? Well, I'll blame my scattered brain for that. Poor thing takes a lot of blame. Maybe if it would behave, that wouldn't happen so much. 

So a couple of weeks ago, I started something called 'Musical Mondays', posted one song, then disappeared. Well, it is Monday again, and guess what else? Christmas is ten days away! (Yayyyyy!) 


So today, in honor of the yuletide season, I present to you a hauntingly beautiful rendition of 'Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence'. 


And here are the lyrics (derived from Habakkuk 2:20, "But the Lord is in His holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before Him."): 

"Let all mortal flesh keep silence,
And with fear and trembling stand;
Ponder nothing earthly-minded,
For with blessing in His hand,
Christ our God to earth descendeth,
Our full homage to demand.

Rank on rank the host of Heaven
Spreads its vanguard on the way,
As the Light of light descendeth
From the realms of endless day,
That the powers of Hell may vanish
As the darkness clears away.

At his feet the six-winged seraph,
Cherubim, with sleepless eye,
Veil their faces to the presence,
As with ceaseless voice they cry:
Alleluia, alleluia,
Alleluia, Lord Most High!

Alleluia, Lord Most High!"

Ralph Vaughan Williams


I personally get chills listening to this song. I tend to go for the mellow, flowing pieces, especially in minor keys. I have to make a conscious effort to compose anything else. Usually, if I just sit down to play something off the top of my head, it will sound like the score to a sad scene from some movie somewhere. It's fun, though. 

But I digress. What do you think of this song? Do you have a favorite Christmas song? I'd love to hear from you! I'm horrible with favorites, though, so if you ask mine, be prepared to spend the next hour reading my list. 

P. S. I know that a while back, I posted the opener for a character interview (the final one in this series) with Sern Jesyn here. However, given the state of my brain and the fact that I only received two questions from readers, I never posted the results. I will try to garner more questions, and if I get enough in the next day or two, I'll post the results. Otherwise, I might just have to directly reply to the askers and not do a full interview. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I keep forgetting to address the people who have nominated me for blog awards. I'm honored. :) Now that I'm trying to be more active on the blog again, I shall try to write a post (or posts) about it this week and nominate people accordingly, provided no deadlines have expired, or whatever. I'm terrible about missing deadlines.

    ReplyDelete